My Presentation

(Bridger Brown. Beat Up Les Paul. N.d. Flickr.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Oct. 2017.)

Step 1 – Summary of Project

I made a presentation is about myself. It covers many topics ranging from my interests to my musical preferences.

This project was to practice and round my presenting skills. A lot goes into making a presentation, such as how to properly brainstorm, plan out the slideshow, gathering images, keeping the slideshow, how to speak, and how to practice. The project went above and beyond what I ever expected I would learn. The project went into far depth with each of these topics and I learned so much that will be so useful later.

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

Get inspired. Research the best presenters and study their style. Steve Jobs and Dick Hardt come to mind as some of the best presenters. Hardt especially uses the SUCCESs model. The SUCCESs model is vital because it shows how to keep an audience entertained. Presentations can be the difference if you get the job or not.

Research what the SUCCESs model means. Learn about what makes it stick in people’s minds. Examples include keeping it simple, catching your audience off guard, and telling stories. These are important because the human brain works in many different ways. When the brain is caught off guard with a surprise, it keeps the person entertained and attentive.

Step 3 – Brainwriting and Brainstorming Ideas

Map out your ideas with a brainstorm/web. Do this on your own to get some ideas for the base of your project.  Share your ideas with someone else and let them share their ideas with you. This will give you even more ideas because you may like what someone else shared. You can also help them with their ideas by sharing yours.

Prewriteweb

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

Once you have all of your ideas, make them into a storyboard on paper to act as slides and plan out how the slideshow should go. This is called brainwriting. The storyboard goes on paper by folding the paper 4 times so you have 16 “slides.” This is useful because these slides will be like the slide on your presentation. Another great thing about putting it on paper is that you have no distractions that come with brainstorming on a computer. This will also help you realize the flow of your slideshow. It’ll help you figure out what you want your slides to look like. It also lets you practice your presentation and how it’ll go. 

Slideshow1

Slideshow2

Slideshow3

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

To keep an audience entertained, images or visual aids are required. To ensure that a lawsuit doesn’t turn up, make sure to follow the copyright rules. Find images using the Creative Commons search engine and find images from Flickr. Using the creative commons is important because the uploaders of the content are giving you permission to use it. Any copyrighted image you have to get permission from the owner, which is hard to do. Lawsuits have turned up because of this issue, it is serious. Download the images and name them as the date you downloaded them, the website you got them from (which in this case would be Flickr), the Flickr username that uploaded it, and the name of the image.

Create a Work Cited slide. For all of the images you used in the presentation, you must cite them. Use MLA format. Put the citations in alphabetical order by the Flickr username.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

Make the master slide the way you want your slideshow to look. Contrast is the most important thing in designing anything. Use high contrast (dark color, bright text). Black background with white text works best. This “jumps out” at the audience. If you scroll down to the third slide on the master slide, that will be the default slide that is created when you click “new slide” so make that one the way you want it. I put the text in the middle of the screen so the audience can see it nice and big. You have to do this before anything else if you want it to look the same on each slide.

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

Make all the slides with text on them first. Use what you learned from the presenters to put one word on each slide and click through them as you talk. This keeps the audience reeled in and they are much more attentive. Do not put in pictures yet. The brain can only do one thing at a time. You will work way less efficiently if you try to do the pictures and text. Use placeholder slides for the slides that will have pictures. Don’t have words and pictures on the same slide. Doing the text first gives you a flow about how the presentation will go. You can practice the show with just the text and if you don’t like how it flows you can revise that before putting pictures in. Once you’re confident with that, then you can add pictures and finish up your slideshow.

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

Upload the slideshow to http://Slideshare.net. This site is extremely useful because you can access your slideshow from any computer, phone, iPad, etc. You can bring it anywhere you go and it’s public so it can be found easily. https://www.slideshare.net/secret/7tGwPnRQgzjqLF

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

Apply what you learned from the Ted Talks on how to present and how to use your voice. Use your chest to speak, as it makes your voice “heavier.” People prefer other people who have deeper voices. Put some silence in here and there, as if can be very effective. Use different pitches can help you convey different points and ideas. Vary your volume. Warming up your voices also makes the presentation go much smoother. Body language matters! Keep your hands above your waist and below your shoulders. This shows you are poised and confident. Before presenting, strike some “high power” poses, such as the “wonder woman” pose. This is proven to actually boost confidence. Know the surroundings of where you are going to present so you can walk around and have a good feel about where you are. And most importantly, practice. Practice in front of anything, whether that be a real person or stuffed animals. It helps.

Step 10 – What I Learned

While creating this presentation about myself, I learned many important tips on how to make a good presentation and how to be a better presenter. Most of this is based off the SUCCESs model, by the Heath Brothers. First, there I learned how to properly brainstorm so I can maximize my ideas with no distractions and be a more efficient worker. I learned about what the brain likes and doesn’t like so I can captivate my audience to the greatest extent. I learned how to gather images so I don’t get sued. I learned how to format a slideshow and how to keep it entertaining. The little things are very crucial, like text color and background color. Voice can make a huge difference in the presentation itself. The power of silence or changing pitches can make the presentation very emotional.  Positive body language such as striking the “Wonder Woman” pose right before presenting builds confidence. Who knew that? Now I have many more resources that I’ll definitely be using in the future. Overall, these new skills and knowledge that I’ve gained by doing this project will last a lifetime and help me down the road.